Saturday, July 7, 2012

Summer at Assiniboine

The rockies are a special place and full of surprises, particularly when it comes to views and the weather.

I went to with my family on a long-planned trip. Assiniboine lodge is in Assiniboine Park, just over the border in British Columbia. I remember being there when I was 17 years old and the parks were planning on cancelling the Renners' lease on the lodge. All the people who really loved the place showed up, and I ended up getting drunk on scotch and walking back on a 30cm wide stretch of walkable snow in the moonlight to the cabin, then getting up and skiing the next day. I'm not sure that I can even telemark ski on those old straight and curve-less skis any more, but I sure as hell had a good time back then.
This time, we were going up to spread my mom's ashes on Wonder Pass. So, we hiked in 24km (Nancy took the heli), and actually managed to get to the lodge in time to eat dinner! (This is highly unusual for us.) The next day Larry and Nancy stayed at the lodge so that the remaining five of us could use the five sets of available snow shoes to travel the 3km to the pass on what turned out to be a lovely day. We remembered, spread the ashes, and drank some scotch in her memory.
The next day my younger brother and I had planned for a two-person romp up Jones' peak. We had planned to traverse the nublet, but got on the wrong side and found ourselves on top! Then we had a bit of a snow field to cross.
The red algae that you can see on the snow seemed to indicate areas which were easier walking. I can only assure you that the red you see in my foot steps was not from my blisters, bad though they may have been. We had so much fun making it to the top that we decided to go back to the nublet and on to the Nub, which offered the view of Mt. Assiniboine that you see above. We had a great time running around on mountain tops and ridges! When we got back, Heather, who was working at the lodge, didn't believe at first that we had done both peaks in the amount of time we had been gone, but she eventually overcame her suspicions.
It was a safe trip and everyone had a good time. I was really glad that we had a chance to fulfil my mom's last wishes. It is a place full of fond memories, and to which I hope to return again.


More pictures are here, including a fantastic ski descent by none other than Matt Roberts.

No comments:

Post a Comment