Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Malcolm Roberts has Died of Dysentery

Just kidding! Ha ha. Of course, I'm fine, it's just that I'm finishing my trail through Oregon. I'm in Brookings, having a coffee and some lunch before I head across the border in to California.

Leaving Tillamook, I ran into a bike-ride cancer fundraiser, which felt like they'd thrown a party just for my arrival:

I ended up in Lincoln, where I found that the camp site was in the middle of the city, so I stayed at a cheap hotel instead of worrying about random people wandering into camp. Shame; I biked past a nice camp site not long before. It may have been for the best, since the weather turned overnight. After a first long day, Sunday started off with rain, which was actually a pleasant change for this prairie boy. It tapered off into a merely overcast afternoon, which made for some pleasant riding, though not as fast as the day before.

Knowing what the weather would be like, I motel'd it again, having gotten to Coos Bay. I was hoping to stay in one of the yurts that are available at some of the state parks, but they were all full, and all I got for my troubles was a fantastic setting for dinner at Sunset Beach.

the weather has been cold and rainy, and the visibility on the road isn't very good, so I hitched the last 20km into town. With fine weather, I managed 180km, with half-rain and headwind, 130, and with rain all day and headwind gusts of 50km/h, only 80km. To get out of this weather pattern and try and keep on some sort of schedule I bussed from Coos Bay to Brookings, and now I'm going over the coast into California, where I hope to camp in Red Woods National Park. Might stay a couple of days in Arcata (Chris tells me it's a cool town) before continuing south.

Scheduling bike trips is difficult, because one is so rarely in complete control of one's situation. I will try and do all the things that I set out to do, but I must also promise myself not to rush it for the sake of both my enjoyment and safety. I'm excited to hit the road today!

1 comment: